Retail industry: warehouse management system implementation
National retail organisation servicing local and export customers. Single distribution centre supplying 10 interstate warehouses by road and air. DC has single shift operation with outsourced freight and freight forwarding
- Client was using an 1990's ERP that supported all aspects of the business, including the warehouse operation
- The entire warehouse operation was paper based from receiving, put-away, picking, despatch and returns
- Customer order processing and completion was lengthy and prone to error " Lost Orders", incorrect picks etc
- Stock take process was an annual event with final reconciliation incomplete and rolled over inaccurate opening stock.
- Overtime was very high for a business of this size, mainly due to resource planning and order allocation issues
- RFP was commissioned for new warehouse management system. Decision to develop from in house due to ERP age and cost.
- New warehouse management system module was designed, developed, tested and implemented with support of in-house IT.
- Substantially reduced reliance on paper and moved into paperless environment.
- New warehouse layout was implemented to support a paperless picking environment
- Greater visibility was possible to manage orders, resources and workflows, resulting in a considerable reduction in overtime.