Pharmaceutical industry: demand planning & scheduling
A pharmaceutical supply chain is the most complex and challenging to drive improvement without a strong awareness of the industry, its products, processes and regulatory requirements. The nature of the manufacturing processes being multi staged, supported by a combination of internal and external vendors incorporates a level of added complexity when designing a solution.
We completed a demand planning and scheduling assessment for the entire operation, from demand management through to production planning execution. This involved constructing an AS-IS road map to understand the supply chain structure, its complexity, the flow of materials and information throughout all supply chain touch points. This provided a understanding of the business, which then allowed more detailed works on the processes that drive and support demand planning and scheduling.
- Back order levels and high & customer service below acceptable target level
- Demand management including forecasting and execution needed attention
- Production planning and scheduling required alignment and precision
- Inventory write off's were excessive and amounted to millions of dollars
- Planning parameters in Movex ERP not working correctly
- We designed a future state model covering all workflows, document, data and cost controls
- Implemented new sales and operations planning process to connect all functions.
- Work groups established to refine planning parameters, resulting in more accurate projections.
- Cleansed Boms and Routings to increase planning integrity for production